| January 12, 2011

Being Social at SxSW

28 Comments

1. Kaleigh
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

Nice post, guys! Best of luck - I hope you both get to go (so I can live vicariously through you)!

-Kaleigh/@kaleighsimmons

2. AlyssaHenry
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Kaleigh!

If we're lucky enough to win, we'll be sure to keep you up-to-date on all South By Southwest fun! Tweet you later :)

Alyssa

3. Will Kievit
    Posted January 12, 2011 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

Really hope you guys win this contest. Seems like you will take away a lot and put it to great use. Good luck.

4. AlyssaHenry
    Posted January 13, 2011 at 12:05 am | Permalink

Thanks for your support Will, it means a lot! We'll be sure to let you know if we're chosen and tell you what's up at South By!

Alyssa

5. Posted January 13, 2011 at 12:14 am | Permalink

David, Alyssa -- excellent post. You have both done outstanding work for the iSchool and Syracuse University over the last year. You should be very proud of all that you've accomplished.

Best of luck in the contest!

6. AlyssaHenry
    Posted January 13, 2011 at 12:21 am | Permalink

Always great to hear positive feedback from you, Anthony! We're looking forward to hearing the results of the contest, keeping our fingers crossed for SxSW! Thanks for commenting :)

Alyssa

7. Pat
    Posted January 13, 2011 at 1:30 am | Permalink

I may only be an alum but I have no question that you two possess the knowledge and potential to make your way to South by Southwest and bring back to Syracuse University even more than what the festival thinks it has to offer - a true understanding of the vision and promise offered by each participant, and the ability to incorporate learned ideas for the benefit of the university as a whole.
    Good luck!

8. Posted January 13, 2011 at 1:52 am | Permalink

Best of luck, guys. I'm proud to get the opportunity to work with both of you.

9. Posted January 13, 2011 at 8:30 am | Permalink

As a 2008 alum of the iSchool, I believe Alyssa and David should win this contest because of the following:

1) Both of them have demonstrated strong leadership both within the social media realm, as well as outside of it.

2) The duo is both well researched and well-spoken

3) They will truly be ambassadors of the iSchool while at the event, which can only have positive effects on both the SU iSchool reputation, but the reputation of ALL iSCHOOLS.

4) The background of WHY they want to go is learning. It isn't to party or visit a warmer place, because hey, they could do that on Marshall street. This request is much more than that.

5) The people they meet and interact with can only mean positive things for extending both their personal network, but the network of the iSchool.

6) Strong chance there will be awesome alumni there :)

-Alana
    SU iSchool '08 Alumni
    @AlanaMarie

10. Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:00 am | Permalink

WOW! All I can say is that I am really appreciative of the support from all the comments here! Thank you so much for the support Kaleigh, Will, Anthony, Pat, Adam & Alana! Hope to see you all at SXSW!!!

11. nicole
    Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:14 am | Permalink

best of luck guys - hope to see many checkins from Austin in the future :)

12. Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Thanks so much Nicole! Any progress on being Berky's carry on?

13. Katie H.
    Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Great post Alyssa! Both you and David are extremely deserving students and have done great things for the Syracuse social media community. Good luck!!

14. AlyssaHenry
    Posted January 13, 2011 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Like David said, WOW! I'm really blown away by some of the comments posted here, thank you all so much.

Pat, Adam, Alana, Nicole, and Katie, thanks for your kind words and supporting us, we'll be sure to knock 'em dead if we go to South By!

Alyssa

15. Posted January 13, 2011 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

Alyssa, in the short time I've known you, both on Twitter and after meeting you in class, I have seen that you possess a lot of potential to engage communities (you've done a great job with Syracuse University so far!), and I think SxSW would be a great opportunity for you.

David, I only know you from Twitter and your involvement with Foursquare, but I'm truly inspired (by both of you, really) to extend my participation in social media for the benefit of my communities through your efforts (especially by the role you played in getting SU more involved in Foursquare - I actually rejoined a few weeks ago!).

Best of luck :)

16. Posted January 14, 2011 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Thanks Katie and Lauren, really appreciate the encouragement! Hopefully Alyssa and I will be live tweeting the entire week from Austin so that all can follow the events!

Thanks again!

17. Jen
    Posted January 14, 2011 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Alyssa and David get my vote. Very nice post and good luck to you both!

-Jen
    @jenny248
    SU L'10

18. Posted January 14, 2011 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

As an alum of the iSchool (IST minor, 1998) I'm all for Alyssa and David representing Syracuse down at SXSW! We've already set aside 2 VIP passes for them for our foursquare party on Saturday and it would be a shame to see them go to waste :)

Dennis Crowley
    co-founder/ CEO, foursquare

19. Ben Tepfer
    Posted January 14, 2011 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

These guys are the best! They deserve this!

@bentepfer

20. Sunny
    Posted January 14, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Alyssa and David are smarties with tons of energy and excitement for new ideas and get everyone else excited about them. They are totally deserving of going to SXSW.

Good luck you two!

21. Kim
    Posted January 14, 2011 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

It's VERY tough to follow @dens and I most certainly can't offer VIP passes to a foursquare party, but I can vouch for Alyssa and David as rockstar students who deserve this trip to SxSW. These two have made such a name for themselves in the real world - and the online world. They're well-known on campus and they're most certainly well-known on Twitter. This post is excellent and a true testament to what Alyssa and David have done for Syracuse University. I'd be proud to have them represent SU (and comfortable knowing they'd tweet the whole way through SxSW so I could live vicariously!)

Kim Brown, '06
    Alumni Programs Coordinator, SU Career Services
    @kimincuse

22. Karen
    Posted January 14, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Great post by David and Alyssa outlining all they've done for Syracuse University and the iSchool. They are actively involved in the social media world and great advocates for Syracuse University, as demonstrated by their hard work and various presentations representing theUniversity. I know SxSW will give them more opportunities to learn and grow and enhance their social media presence and knowledge!

-Karen
    @kegluskin

23. Posted January 14, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

send Alyssa and Dave to SXSW they deserve it!!!

24. Posted January 14, 2011 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

Dennis, Jen, Ben, Sunny, Kim, Karen and Rah, thank you all so much for your votes to send Alyssa to South By! Your votes are so appreciated, hopefully they will help us to win this!

And an especially huge thank you to @dens for the VIP passes to the foursquare party. Like he said, would hate to see them go to waste! :)

25. Chuck Fiello Jr
    Posted January 15, 2011 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Not only should you two be there, if they were smart, they would invite you for their own sake. Anyone who follows you both on Twitter and knows anything about how active Syracuse is on Social Media knows this would be a smart decision. Neither of you have been reactive in this regard but have chosen to be proactive with SM. I think if they are smart enough to realize what an asset you all could be for their event, they would learn from the best. When it comes to media, Syracuse are pioneers and Alyssa and David help set the standards. Go Orange!

26. rich
    Posted January 15, 2011 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Alyssa and Dave are "super tweeters" who should be dispatched to SxSW immediately.

27. @tracytilly
    Posted January 15, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

Alyssa & David - I've been lucky enough to interact with you both through social media and a few times IRL. You are both the epitome of "social media done right." I think SXSW would benefit more than just the two of you because of your extremely professional, dedicated and knowledgeable approach and demonstration of the use of social media already with the greater SU community. Good luck... I'm rooting for you both!

@tracytilly

28. Posted January 17, 2011 at 1:28 am | Permalink

I had no idea you guys were behind a lot of that! I've known you a short while through Twitter, and have definitely enjoyed every second of it. I can only imagine what SXSW can do to make you guys even more awesome, and have no doubt you'd share it with all of us. Good luck! I can't wait to see what you do next!

3 Trackbacks

1.  

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Michele Weisman, Alyssa Henry, Alyssa Henry, Alyssa Henry, Dan Klamm and others. Dan Klamm said: @AlyssaHenry, nice post! Good luck to you and @dhrosen on getting to #SxSW - http://ow.ly/3CPuq [...]

2. By RESULTS: SUxSW Contest! on February 28, 2011 at 6:23 pm

[...] Alyssa Henry and David Rosen (Being Social at SXSW) [...]

3. By Interview time! « Vee on the Trail on May 17, 2011 at 7:20 pm

[...] was chosen to go to South by Southwest, a conference in Texas.  She mentioned Foursquare in her blog post about South by Southwest, so I looked it up and learned about it. I really like the idea of the Foursquare badges and was [...]

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>