| September 7, 2011

iSchool Women: Have you heard? You Must Choose Between Romance and Tech

6 Comments

1. Posted September 7, 2011 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Romance over Technology? That's absurd to me. In fact, I have had a wonderful fulfilling life with the man I love through our shared passions in technology.

• Posted September 7, 2011 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

Macy,  thanks for your comment.  Having a shared interest is very important and a shared career field is a great bonus!  It's nice to hear from women who don't fit the stereotype...

2. Posted September 7, 2011 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

I relate to your frustration Kelly, I also do not agree with this article. I am a current Information Technology & Management student in my senior year at SU. I balance a family and all that goes with being a mom and I have done it so far. So I can speak on the behalf of women in technology and truly say that this is not true. I do have a supporting husband and children this helps but I think you can balance it all. I am doing it!

• Posted September 7, 2011 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

Good for you Kim!  Your story is more in line with what I've witnessed at the iSchool and I'm glad to hear that you're happily doing it all.

3. Posted September 8, 2011 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Hi, I have unfortunately experienced this. In my university degree, I was one of only a few girls studying my course (technology/computing related) and in my previous jobs I have either been the only woman or one of very few. It is a very male dominated area, although I do believe this is changing. I totally disagree with the 'romance or tech' though, In my experience, when I've told males what I do, they have been impressed, sometimes a little shocked (because i am a girl?) but by no means do they see it as a turn off, if anything they want to find out more.
    Girl power ;)

Telephone answering service

4. Anonymous
    Posted October 14, 2011 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Many years ago, when I did a CS degree at another school, I encountered that "women don't belong here" attitude from many of the male students, and even a faculty member.  Fortunately, I saw very little of it in my subsequent career, so I hoped that it was dying out.  Now I'm doing grad work at the iSchool, and am disappointed to be encountering it again from one of the males on my project team.  Is the iSchool doing anything to bring these guys into the 21st century???

One Trackback

1. By How Do We Get More Women in Tech? on November 29, 2012 at 3:15 pm

[...] Brian Grove- new iSchool UG Fall 2010 Related Posts // iSchool Women: Have you heard? You Must Choose Between Romance and TechThe It Girls: Young Women Excited about Information TechnologyGirls in IT Are Here to StayBe on the [...]