| December 15, 2011

What is Instagram and Why Is It So Popular?

51 Comments

1. Enea Catalin
    Posted December 31, 2011 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

So, Instagram is just like facebook bu only for sharing pictures? I will give it a try..

Enea. C
    http://orderphoneonline.co.uk

2. Posted January 23, 2012 at 4:53 am | Permalink

good pictures

Submit Your Photography

3. Anonymous
    Posted February 3, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

Square is a great entrepreneurial story and the future seems to be bright for Jack Dorsey and company.  That doesn't mean, however, that the payment processor has no issues to solve and I recently read a review of the service that points squarely (sorry, I couldn't resist it) at the two biggest gripes users have with the service: the inability to easily speak to a customer service representative and the holds the company places on its users' money under certain conditions.

The first issue is easily fixed and I just can't understand how Square, whose COO is, after all, a former PayPal executive, doesn't deem it important to provide a number for their customers to call when they have a question.  The second issue is much more complicated, as it has to do with risk management, but Square should at the very least do a better job at communicating its policy.

Still, overall the Square guys are doing a great job and I'm confident that they'll improve over time.  http://blog.unibulmerchantservices.com/square-mobile-payments-customer-service-phone-numbers-and-money-holds

• Anonymous

Thank you for your email. I am out of the office on vacation today Friday February 3rd. I will repy to you email promtly upon my return Monday Febrary 6th.
      Thank you.

4. Gumchewer2day
    Posted February 13, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

add me i want 60 followers before my b day 3 days 

instagram id: gumchewer3

5. Jamazing101
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Follow me! im new but i'll post cool pics

• Erirey
      Posted February 21, 2012 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

I'm new too! you can follow me @ererirey

6. Colin
    Posted February 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Permalink

Sounds really interesting.  I love the way the pictures look and I really love the social media aspects of it.

Colin
    http://ibuycameras.net

7. Haileydevillier
    Posted February 21, 2012 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Follow hailey_devillier
    Thanks!! :)))

8. Garyeason
    Posted March 3, 2012 at 4:47 am | Permalink

So it's the same as Flickr only with far fewer users and lots of really naff photos taken by people who don't know how to use a camera. I still don't get the appeal sorry.

• Caprice
      Posted April 7, 2012 at 6:53 am | Permalink

Yeah, I won't be flocking to this app anytime soon. I really don't see how it's any different from Photoshop other than the benefit of yet another social networking site. The hype will die down in a number of months and I won't be surprised...

9. Posted March 26, 2012 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I think its exclusiveness to the "iOS" platform has gained it its popularity .. I think there are many other apps out there which have the same functionality and i'd dare say have better filters for pictures...

10. Tisch
    Posted March 31, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Android has the Vignette app, which is not based on followers; it's just a photo taking app, and you can separately share your photos to wherever. But by far, Instagram has NOTHING on the filters and adjustments you can make to photos with Vignette. Instagram is kind of a joke to me....just saying
    ♥@Its_Tisch:twitter

• Kelly Lux
      Posted April 6, 2012 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

The appeal of Instagram, as I wrote about in this post, is well beyond the filters available. I use a variety of other photo manipulation apps in conjunction with Instagram to make anything I want, you're not restricted to only using IG. Also, Instagram is a thriving community. It just depends on what you're looking for. Thanks for your comment.

11. hothfox
    Posted April 4, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Permalink

I waited for it for Android anxiously because I like the social aspect of it better than anything else out there. Now, 95% of my friends use it, and it's JUST for picture sharing (with comments and geo-tags), not status updates, badges, event invites, links to content, etc. I can see pictures friends post, comment on them, like them, and that's it.

I'm sure when it started the iPhone had better picture quality than all of these Android phones, but now that's an antiquated argument, especially with phones like the HTC Rezound and the HTC One X (though my Nexus takes pretty good pictures too). Back then, Android was sort of still new, I guess, but now it has a HUGE market share, so there's really no excuse for an app dev not to cater to that community as well.

Plus I like the filters :X

12. Posted April 5, 2012 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Finally, they have entered Android community. Will give them a try.

13. paul sykes
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

simply BS !

14. Pizza T
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 6:57 pm | Permalink

This reminds me of the internet boom of the 90's. It's all gonna fall in value.

15. ondaaah
    Posted April 9, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

"Holds the record as quickest to reach 1 million downloads, occurring on December 21, 2010"

Say WHAT?

Opera Mini was downloaded 1 million times without 24 hours of being released!

http://www.opera.com/press/releases/2010/04/15/

So where did you get the idea that Instagram was the quickest to reach 1 million?

• Posted April 9, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Thanks for pointing that out.  I couldn't find the original tech crunch post I found that in (as they may have since amended it).  I've amended the post.

16. Platty
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

You should only say sorry to bb users. Android has these built in capabilities in the camera itself so there is no need for an outside app apart from capabilities to follow someone like on twitter. With an HTC amaze or One S for example, you can add all those filters and more, share you fotos with anyone or any social site and mash fotos together from withing the camera setting. No need for an outside source. Also, the camera on an iphone fades in comparison to the ones on the android platform otherwise there would be no need for an outside app to enhance pictures of a device with such am=n "amazing camera" as mentioned. 

17. Jen
    Posted April 29, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

But why is everyone so obsessed and always asking, "Do you have an instagran?" - Rylie

18. newcrew
    Posted July 17, 2013 at 12:47 am | Permalink

that helped thank you

19. ron
    Posted August 14, 2013 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

I was never really interested in getting instagram until I read your blog. thanks...

20. Barb Leonard Kunde
    Posted August 17, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

what are all the hash tags for? do you make up your own words? how does that all work?

• Posted August 20, 2013 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Hi Barb, When you use a hashtag (#) on Instagram, twitter or facebook, it makes the post searchable. For instance if I post a photo of my dogs, I sometimes use the #dogsofinstagram tag. That is a known hashtag and people use it to search for photos of dogs. Make sense?

• fred
        Posted November 14, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

o really explain t more

21. Gayl
    Posted September 7, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Thank you!!

22. I love instagram
    Posted September 8, 2013 at 9:56 am | Permalink

nice explained really well thx

23. Anonymous, of course
    Posted September 9, 2013 at 7:57 am | Permalink

I think d like the photo options on Instagram, but I'm a little worried about keeping my anonymity. Can people track who you are on Instagram even if you don't post photos of your face? I was able to locate the phone number and address of a girl my friend thought was seeing her bf on the side just by zooming in on a Facebook photo the possible-perp left open to friends of friends. It's scary to imagine what kind of information can be leaked by the background of a photo. If Instagram is not anonymous, it'd be very easy for someone to track everywhere you go by what local landmarks you post. Since you cannot stop people from following you, what kind of protective methods are in place on Instagram? It seems like its only for teeny boppers who pose in mirrors with their friends, but I'm seeing Instagram everywhere. If the program doesn't offer anonymity, it would most definitely be dangerous. As a parent, I constantly fear what my child might be saying in an in-app undetectable chat room, what kind of pictures they might receive in a text, and now (if Instagram isn't anonymous) ill also have to worry about undetectable pictures helping chat room creeps stalk my loved ones.

• Posted September 13, 2013 at 8:49 am | Permalink

I'm not really sure what you mean by 'anonymous'...pictures on Instagram are public. You choose how much information you include in your bio, and you can block unwanted followers. You are correct, Instagram has grown popular with teens who want to escape their parents on Facebook, but it is also used by professional photographers, major brands and plenty of regular adults. In my opinion, it is better to teach young teens the rules of the internet, and how to stay safe, rather that not allowing them to utilize the same technology many of their friends are using, and that they will surely be using when they get a bit older. Learning how to safely navigate the internet is a lifeskill everyone needs.

24. K2Bsolutions
    Posted September 10, 2013 at 2:26 am | Permalink

Exact Post which i searched for ., Thanks for Sharing

25. Abmer
    Posted September 13, 2013 at 12:08 am | Permalink

Thanks for your explanation.
    I like instagram so much
    I heard one apps called " Instagrab"
    It can download photos and videos also, it can bookmark the people.

26. Anthony Bates
    Posted September 22, 2013 at 7:20 am | Permalink

The explanation is much appreciated.

27. gemcrazy
    Posted September 28, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

I do not have a fancy phone, does this mean I cannot get Instagram ?

• Kelly Lux
      Posted October 9, 2013 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Yes, Instagram is only available as an app on smartphones, specifically iOS and Android.

28. unknown
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

nice job explaining way better than Wiki

29. unknown
    Posted October 11, 2013 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

what is a hashtag#

• Kelly Lux
      Posted October 14, 2013 at 11:44 am | Permalink

A hashtag is a symbol (#) placed in front of a word or phrase that allows you to search for others using the same word or phrase. Hashtags are user driven and anyone can make up their own. However, if you want your photos to be found with others on a specific topic, say #dogsofinstagram, you want to use known hashtags. Search specific words/topics and you will usually find similar hashtags. Search those hashtags and see if they are widely used for what you think they're used for before using them yourself. Hope this was helpful!

30. Posted October 16, 2013 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

What you don't explain is where you can use it. I don't have a smart phone - is the assumption that you can't use it on a Windows laptop?

• Kelly Lux
      Posted October 22, 2013 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Caroline, Instagram is strictly a mobile app, available in the Apple App Store and Google Play store. The idea of Instagram is to take pictures with your phone and instantly upload and share them. Hope that helps!

• Posted December 15, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

You can use a windows laptop with Instagram. There are tools such as gramblr which can upload photos. I've never used it but you can google it and find where to download it and use it.

31. Guest
    Posted October 25, 2013 at 7:17 am | Permalink

This is more informative than the insta gram site. Thanks

32. Vimal
    Posted November 15, 2013 at 11:27 am | Permalink

I loved the way you write and explained.

33. madinah hart
    Posted January 4, 2014 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

But its highly uneducational. It doesn't teach kids nothing but take a pic of me and like it. Really is that the best apple can do?

• Posted February 12, 2014 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Actually, it's not an Apple product. Facebook bought Instagram for $1B dollars after they had been around a little more than a year. If you thinks it's all about selfies, you need to do some more exploring of Instagram.

34. Lynne R McAnulty-Street
    Posted February 11, 2014 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

What I don't "get" is - what's wrong with Flickr, or any of the other photo sharing sites around. Is it the invention of hashtags? Big deal- they serve the same purpose as Tags.
    I'll admit I'd consider it, but as yet can see no compelling reason, sorry.

• Posted February 12, 2014 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

Hi Lynn - the difference is the the simplicity of the UX and the community that has been built around Instagram. It's in my pocket all the time, a glimpse into the world of my friends and people who interest me. Flickr is a great site, but it doesn't engender the community vibe that Instagram does. Instagram is an 'as-it-happens' stream of photos. Not one where you take pix with your great camera, upload them to your computer and post them afterwards. It really has nothing to do with tags or hashtags. It's not for everyone, of course, but it's definitely made a lot of friends around the world. :)

35. Posted February 12, 2014 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

Hi, I'm not really sure what kind of information I can provide to you. I have a 19 year old daughter, so I'm not unaware of the concerns of a parent. My own feeling is that you teach your kids well, and share your values with them, and then hope for the best. Most kids I know that are 15 are on Instagram, and Snapchat, and twitter. Very difficult to put the lid on social networking once the 'genie is out of the bottle' so to say. Show her stories about kids who have gotten into trouble on the internet, she needs to be educated so she is able to self-monitor. Hope this helps!

36. leo mathew
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:36 am | Permalink

I think in many countries are developing in technology like America, British, Japan, India, etc. Mostly all are interested in application development in various domains like iphone, android and web. It is very useful to shows each and every person talent in specific country.

31 Trackbacks

1. By Rotolo Blog » How to Write an Effective Blog Post on January 14, 2012 at 2:57 pm

[...] often there are few places to get a solid summary. A great example of this type of post is “What is Instagram and Why Is It So Popular?” by Kelly [...]

2.  

[...] first glance, the photo sharing part of Path looks oddly similar to another app called Instagram. Path takes on this same concept with 7 image-altering filters, so that you can spruce up any old [...]

3.  

[...] occurring on December 21, 2010.If you are wondering why  everyone flocking to Instagram?  What does it actually do?I am  eagerly  waiting to try my hands on Instagram Android App.Surely will update the link to [...]

4.  

[...] absolute BEST thing about Instagram is the community. I wrote about this in my post “What is Instagram and Why is it So Popular?” back in January 2011. The IG community is engaged, supportive, generous, diverse and just super [...]

5.  

[...] specially because it’s photo filters (that are awesome!), and its simplicity. In fact, Instagram numbers are really impressing: it become the #1 application in the App Store within 24 hours of launch (October 6, 2010), it [...]

6.  

[...] | Tags: Apps, Instagram, Iphone, Pair, Pose, technology, Viddy Since its launch in 2010, Instagram has gone viral. They have over 30 millions users and their acquisition by Facebook made front [...]

7.  

[...] http://infospace.ischool.syr.edu/2011/12/15/what-is-instagram-and-why-is-it-so-popular/ [...]

8. By How Instagram’s Coming Alive on November 29, 2012 at 3:16 pm

[...] Now if you are saying “wait… What’s Instagram?” [...]

9.  

[...] After the Facebook Acquisition: A Technologist’s PerspectiveHow Instagram’s Coming AliveWhat is Instagram and Why Is It So Popular?Instagram 3.0: A Cause for Celebration and/or TearsSam Morrison’s Backflip Challenge: Technology [...]

10. By Social Media at #140cuse: A Network For Everyone on November 29, 2012 at 3:19 pm

[...] your pictures to Instagram using #140cuse and they will show up on our big screen at the conference.  If you have an [...]

11. By How to Write an Effective Blog Post on November 29, 2012 at 11:21 am

[...] but often there are few places to get a solid summary. A great example of this type of post is “What is Instagram and Why Is It So Popular?” by Kelly [...]

12. By Instagram 3.0: A Cause for Celebration and/or Tears on November 29, 2012 at 11:27 am

[...] After the Facebook Acquisition: A Technologist’s PerspectiveHow Instagram’s Coming AliveWhat is Instagram and Why Is It So Popular?Who Are the Contenders to be ‘The Next Instagram’?Student Sandbox Profiles: Scrapsule [...]

13.  

[…] What is Instagram and Why is it So Popular? […]

14. By Instagram Authors? | Writing Across Genres on October 9, 2013 at 6:00 am

[…] they could also catch up with the shifting social media landscape, discovering why Instagram is so hot, why Facebook acquired it for one billion dollars, and why it has this stellar track record, as […]

15.  

[…] http://infospace.ischool.syr.edu/2011/12/15/what-is-instagram-and-why-is-it-so-popular/ […]

16.  

[…] What is Instagram and why is it so popular […]

17.  

[…] What is Instagram and why is it so popular […]

18. By Insta-smart to catch up | Advertising Power on October 28, 2013 at 6:30 pm

[…] Who would have thought that Instagram was going to grow so fast since it first launched on October 6, 2010. It was the #1 downloaded app in the App Store within 24 hours of launched, and as March 2012, it had more than 25 million users, according to the School of Information Studies. […]

19. By Critical review of ‘Instagram’ | Yasu's blog on November 25, 2013 at 7:18 am

20. By Thing 2 : Photo Apps | 23 Mobile Things on January 22, 2014 at 11:23 am

[…] What is Instagram and Why Is It So Popular? by Kelly Lux […]

21.  

[…] Kelly Lux, 2011, What is Instagram, accessed 17th March 2014, http://infospace.ischool.syr.edu/2011/12/15/what-is-instagram-and-why-is-it-so-popular/ […]

22.  

[…] What is Instagram and why is it so popular? (Lux, 2011, p. 1): If you have never explored the application before, here is a quick rundown of what it involves and offers. […]

23.  

[…] What is Instagram and why is it so popular? (Lux, 2011): If you have never explored the application before, here is a quick rundown of what it involves and offers. […]

24.  

[…] At its core, Instagram is simply a digital photo album cites Kelly Lux. A user captures images within the app or just utilizes snapshots already on their phone. There is then a quick editing process wherein the user can crop, transform color filters and write a caption among other options (2012). […]

25. By Bria's Blog! on May 5, 2014 at 2:43 pm

[…] For more  information click here  […]

26. By “IM” | English 102 on May 14, 2014 at 10:56 pm

[…] of my habitats that is to use Instagram frequently, Instagram is a social network were people can follow their friends, celebrities, clubs, or any one in general. […]

27.  

[…] Add a photo gallery of your practice and your staff at work on Instagram. […]

28. By BLOG 3 | zhuohangfu on September 14, 2014 at 12:09 pm

[…] Lux. K 2011, What is Instagram and Why Is It So Popular?, accessed 15 December 2011, http://infospace.ischool.syr.edu/2011/12/15/what-is-instagram-and-why-is-it-so-popular/ […]

29. By Blog entry 3 | aheddodi on September 15, 2014 at 9:12 am

[…] Lux, K. (2011). What is Instagram and why is it so popular?. School of information studies. Syracuse University. Retrieved from http://infospace.ischool.syr.edu/2011/12/15/what-is-instagram-and-why-is-it-so-popular/ […]

30.  

[…] Lux, K 2011, What is Instagram and Why Is It So Popular, Information Space, viewed 15th September 2014, http://infospace.ischool.syr.edu/2011/12/15/what-is-instagram-and-why-is-it-so-popular/. […]

31.  

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>