| April 4, 2012

Espresso Book Machines: Should Libraries Offer On Demand Publishing?

• cdelanty

Hello--Riverside County Library System was the first public library in the U.S. to install a permanent Espresso Book Machine (EBM) and it was initially funded through a State Library LSTA grant.  The project is named "Flash Books."  Our intent was to study the impact that it could have on Inter-Library Loan and on our collection development processes.  What we discovered about it was something completely different.  It was an immediate success as a self-publishing tool for the communities we serve as well as for our libraries.  We've found that there truly is a book inside each of us waiting to come out!!  It's been great to see the community embrace this new service.  Our libraries use it to print reading journals for Summer Reading Program and other reading programs such as the California Reads--Searching for Democracy.  Our Friends groups have also enthusiastically used Flash Books.  Back to our original intent--that's been a little slow-going but we continue to investigate opportunities to use EBM to help us more efficiently provide materials to all library users and meet their needs "on demand." 

• Dorotea Szkolar

Hello cdelanty, first thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my blog.  I love it when readers respond with personal experiences because it adds an on the ground element to the discussion.  I am sorry if I got the information wrong on the first public library to install the espresso book machine.  I based my information on this prweb article (http://www.prweb.com/releases/2007/06/prweb534914.htm) which stated the New York Public Library was the first.  If you could send me the link to a newspaper article or website verifying the Riverside County Library System was the first public library to install the machine, I will gladly change the information in the article.  The last thing I want to do is post incorrect information or offend another librarian!

• cdelanty

Hi Dorotea--you weren't wrong, actually. NYPL was the first to do a demo one, I was just adding that RCLS installed the first permanent one. Also New Orleans Public has one, but I don't believe it has been in operation--I may be wrong about that. I wasn't correcting you, just adding to the conversation. Sorry if it appeared that way. :) Cindy
        ________________________________

• Pingback: Is Wikipedia Replacing Libraries? A Response to Wikipedia Redefining Research