It’s our favorite time of year, right students? Winter Break is in sight, but it’s being blocked by the mountains of studying you have to do first.
I’m on both sides of the spectrum. I’m currently a full time grad student and a graduate assistant for a class with over 230 students. Trust me, finals is stressful no matter how you look at it. Luckily, there are some pretty good tips for surviving the last (unofficial) week of the semester.
- Don’t stay up all night. Sleep. It helps you remember all that material you’ve been studying over. Plus, your body will thank you.
- Eat well. As great as Cheetos, Doritos, and ramen are, try to treat yourself well. The right foods will give you the right energy to keep working.
- Caffeine tip: It takes about 10-20 minute to kick in. Have some coffee right before you take a 20 minute power nap. When you wake up, you’ll be more rested and the caffeine will push you back to your textbooks.
- Make a list. For every one of my classes, I write exactly what’s due. It feels great to cross things off and physically see your progress.
- Have a study playlist – Put on some music that makes you feel relaxed and listen to it as you study. Music can be really soothing as long as you find out what works well for you.
- Use flash cards – Students are so wrapped up in digital that they can easily become distracted from the material they’re trying to study. Write out flash cards and carry them around with you. Study when you have a free moment or two.
- Time Management – This is probably the hardest thing to manage…your time! Do you even have any? I need to schedule in times to eat and shower into my schedule sometimes. Don’t look at things as a whole. Break them up into little parts to make projects more manageable. I give myself small tasks to accomplish each day so I can get projects done on time. Make schedules for yourself and give yourself time to relax, too.
- Find a good study spot – If your roommate is extra loud, you might not want to spend time studying in your room. Find a good spot that works for you. (My favorite? The atrium in Life Sciences. Snag a good spot next to an outlet and camp out there all day).
- Stop checking social media – Nothing good happens after 2am….at least on social media. Cut back. I promise your Facebook notifications will be there an hour later and you can Instagram your dinner later.
- Relax! You’re going to make it through. Stressing out about stressing out is just going to make things worse. Focus on one thing at a time.
- And, if you’re 21 of course, there’s always Chucks to take your mind off things for a bit.
Good luck, everyone! Did I leave anything out? Let us know in the comments below!